Karlos and I are travelling around the world together, for 6 months...



.

Saturday, July 10, 2010

This is a side-tracked adventure...

So our flight to Iceland was slightly delayed...

First of all, we were delayed by 2hrs in NYC due to bad storms. We were all boarded 30 minutes late, and were then told that all flights to northern Europe were grounded until air traffic control said it was safe to take off. We relaxed and watched an in-flight movie and read etc, and our 8.35pm departure time soon turned into 10.35pm. But no matter - we were finally in the air, so all was good. Not for long though...

*

Karlos and I were really fortunate to have scored seats in row 9, the emergency exit row. This basically meant that we had extra leg room, without a row of seats in front of us, and also meant we were sitting opposite the air crew, so we could keep abreast of how things were going as the flight when on. I casually read the extra emergency procedure information for our row, not thinking that I would really need to pay attention to this.

The first thing I remember about our take-off and ascent, was that the engine on our side of the plane was making a really loud and unusual noise. I don't think I could even describe the noise really, but I have flown a lot and just knew it wasn't "normal" - Karlos agreed. It was a very loud and almost making a vibrating sound. I observed the air stewardesses, and they seemed calm, so no worries.

Eventually the sound of the engine quietened down and sounded "normal" again - either that, or we got used to the sound, I don't know. By this stage though I had mostly forgotten about the engine, instead distracted by the fact that we had been ascending a lot longer than usual. Just as I thought this, an announcement came on the PA system from the Captain - who informed us that we were to remain seated, and patient, until the seatbelt light had been taken off. He was leaving it on longer than usual as we had entered a thunder storm and he needed to climb as high as possible over it, and turbulence may occur.

This was fine. I don't get nervous about flying, don't mind turbulence, and if the captain is saying "nothing to worry about," then I won't. I relaxed with my movie, taking the time every now and then to admire the lightening out the window. It was beautiful, very frequent, and whenever a flash appeared the dark night sky was lit pink and reflected on the dark, billowy clouds below. I couldn't help thinking how powerful and beautiful mother nature is... no room for any thoughts of fear...

After maybe 30 minutes, and by this stage we were high enough and the seatbelt light had been turned off, I could smell burning. A kind of smokey, electrical smell. Karlos could smell it too, and I finally felt "uncomfortable." Weird sounding engine noises, thunder and lightening storms, turbulence... fine. But burning/smoke smells - enough was enough.

Karlos looked over to the air stewardesses and I followed his gaze. They both looked worried, and one picked up her phone to speak to the captain. We of course couldn't understand what was said, due to them speaking in Icelandic, but after a minute she hung up and leaned over to us. It's fine, she said. The lightening is giving of gases that the engines are sucking up, that's all. Sounded logical, I thought - and went back to my movie. I've flown in thunder storms before. Not the most relaxing flights, but nothing to worry about.

This was really the beginning of the end for me, however. I proceded to watch the air stewardess take calls from the captain every few minutes. What's going on, I thought. Then before long another captain annoucement came on - in Icelandic. I am then frantically trying to analyse his tone of voice. Yes, it's in Icelandic - but does the captain sound paniced???, I thought. I didn't have to wait long - soon his English announcement began - and he basically told us that, due to "technical problems with an engine," we were turning around, heading back to the USA and, as a "precaution," would land in Boston. He apologised for the disruption in our travel plans, but that Icelandair personnel were working, as he spoke, to make sure we would be taken care of in Boston.

Great. So we were somewhere over the north Atlantic, heading back to land as quick as poss, with (what I understood to be) a failing aircraft in the middle of a thunder storm. Great. Not only that - I was really enjoying my movie (The History Boys) and didn't think I would have a chance to see the ending now. Brilliant.

Karlos, thinking I was really frightened, reached out and held my hand and kissed my forehead, and did all of those sweet things. Truth was, I was actually watching a really moving scene in 'The History Boys,' but really appreciated the gesture so played the role and nuzzled back into him. Distraction was what I needed.

En route back to the USA, I watched the air stewardess take several more calls from the captain, speak into her colleague's ear, lean to look out of the window, get up and clear our exit row off all items on the floor, and (the best bit) check under her, and her colleagues seats, to ensure their life jackets were there. By this stage it wasn't just the "moving scene in the movie" that made me quiet and sullen - I was actually starting to worry now... perhaps I really *did* need to read that extra emergency procedure information after all. I sat calmly in my seat, letting Karlos hold my knee, and tried to remember where they said the life rafts were located, and how to open the door, and if the water slide would come out automatically, etc...

*

But all was good. A half hour later, our captain and his co-pilot safely landed us on USA soil. Welcome to Boston! Fire engines were on the tarmac waiting for us, and everything. I wasn't sure if this was a standard, precautionary procedure for aircraft that have been diverted and all that - or if the engine "difficulties" were slightly a bigger deal than the passengers were lead to believe. No matter - we had landed. And I got another kiss from Karlos.

We were told to remain seated until engineers had assessed the problem with the engine, to see if they could fix it, but after just 20 minutes it was determined the engine could not be fixed, and the flight was cancelled. I, for one, was happy to hear it. I can't say I felt comfortable about this aircraft anymore. It was now 1.30am and I just wanted to sleep, on land.

*

Another 2 hours of waiting later, and we were arguing with our taxi driver over not having any money to tip him, and that the chit from the airline will have to do. And finally, by 4am, we were in our room, in the lovely Crowne Plaza Hotel, happy to be on the earth and happy to have a warm bed.

The airline really looked after us - they gave everyone hotel and taxi chits, ensured we would have breakfast and lunch at the hotel the next day, and organised buses to pick us up for the next day's rescheduled flight.

And so, here I am. Catching up with some blogs, waiting for our 5.30pm bus, take-two of our 8.30pm flight from the USA - and more excited than ever to finally get to the land of fire and ice, to begin our Icelandic adventure.

Here's hoping today's flight is showing "The History Boys." As an aside - I really reccommend that movie!

~ Comet xo

No comments:

Post a Comment