Karlos and I are travelling around the world together, for 6 months...



.

Saturday, October 30, 2010

This is The End of 'Our Legendary Adventure'...

*


Karlos is mowing the lawns, and I am waiting for the washing machine to finish before I go grocery shopping. Yep - we are well and truly back to reality... and it's dull! What happened to the two rugged world travellers that wore the same clothes for weeks, slept in cars, and bought food from men on street corners? They are so last week! So I am now job hunting with a ferocity that will see us travelling again before 2012! Although buying a lotto ticket does seem so much easier... I need a job before I can buy one!

It's good to be home though, really. Backpacking continuously for 6 months was legendary all right, but it was bloody exhausting too. The longer our trip would have gone on for, the more exhausted and indebt we would have become. So we timed it well. And now we can reflect on the amazingness of it all, whilst settling into a comfortable life together at home, sipping wine on the couch... and starting to plan the next one! Only the next one may not be as long, and the next one won't put me in so much debt - but the next one will, most certainly, be every bit as amazing. Because life is what we make it. And we're both determined to make it the best it can be. Wherever we are.

I am actually really starting to entertain the idea of being back in full-time employment again... as daunting a prospect as it seemed just yesterday (we've onlybeen home 3 days after all!). I'm just keen to embark on a new challenge - putting some of my previous work experiences, life experiences, skills, and knowledge into practise. As I have always said - travelling builds character every time you embark on a new journey. You learn more about yourself - your boundaries, your adapability, and how best you deal with stress, diversity, and change. Not to mention how to interact with a wide variety of people. So I'm feeling pretty confident in my employability at the moment. Confident enough to have potentially just made up a new word right there.

Being home also means catching up with our friends and family of course. So far we've been able to catch up with all of the family I have in NZ (there are 6 of us in total - plus my sister's hubby and Karlos of course) and Karlos' immediate family. We're slowly getting around to catching up with our close friends and extended family (restricted to places within a walking/biking distance right now!)... and the prospect of one large 'welcome home' party is pretty exciting. We'll need to make some plans for that and then send out a large invite - gotta love facebook for it's ability to do such things.

Catching up with loved ones, getting excited about furnishing our home together, and searching out the endless employment possibilities for me in Auckland right now - these are exciting things, and, fundamentally, distracting me from the fact that - OUR LEGENDARY ADVENTURE IS OVER! Which in itself is still a very upsetting thing. But all good things must come to an end, as they say. And after all - there couldn't be a future adventure if the current one doesn't end at some point - I really must remember that.

So bittersweet is likely how I will be feeling for a little while yet.

But for now... it's a matter of slowly getting stuck back into the grind. And who knows what I'll be doing this time next month...? But whatever it is, I will most likely write about it. And I will definitely be making sure that I love it.

Remember - adventures can occur even in our own living rooms...

Peace and love to you all, planet earth!
~ Comet xo

No comments:

Post a Comment