Karlos and I are travelling around the world together, for 6 months...



.

Thursday, June 17, 2010

This is Chicago, Illinois!

Chicago, Illinois.

Chicago is a place I have always wanted to visit. I was aware I wouldn't meet any flappers, or hoodlums, or bump into Bugsy Malone in Fat Sam's Speakeasy... but I could imagine...

We arrived in Chicago after a very pleasant flight from Montana, via Collorado. A really uneventful and luxurious journey after our recent "Greyhound" experiences! It was a really warm evening, made even warmer by the weight of our backpacks, but we were pleased
with how easy it was to navigate the city's public transport system. If anyone is planning on designing a public transport system (say YOU, Auckland!) then a visit to Chicago to model theirs would be recommended. On the trains, clearly spoken, audible announcements advised us of upcoming stops. There was no need to quickly try and read what station we were at, on a sign blocked by dozens of commuters, or to fumble with a crumpled metro map... we knew what stop we needed, and Chicago's well designed public transport system announced when we arrived.

We hadn't arranged a place to stay for the night - we were to be staying with Hilary and Kevin Marren for a few days, but not until tomorrow - so we walked the streets in search of a cheap looking hotel, avoiding anything with the words "Plaza," "Suite," "Grand," and "Resort" in their name. We didn't have much luck. It was a Monday night and ALL hotels were booked; we
couldn't understand it. Turns out... this very day there was a major conference happening in the city - many hotel rooms had been booked long in advance. Damn. We continued to wander, rather aimlessly. It was hot, dusk, we each carried 25kg+ of baggage, and I for one was not in the mood. It is moments like this I always think to myself - what exactly IS the attraction of travelling. It's painful and frustrating at the best of times...

But before long, we were saved. A very nice gentleman crossed the street to ask if we needed directions. Like literally crossed the street. He saw us doing the usual tourist thing, huddled over a miniture street map, turning it clockwise, anti clockwise, and so on - and he thought 'they probably need some help.' What a nice man! You would never experience that in England, no way. Americans are incredibly friendly, I tell you. Anyway, we accepted his help and so he proceded to walk the streets with us, pointing out hotels that he knew would be too expensive, and trying to find us hotels that he knew would be cheap.

Eventually we found a hotel that our friend recommended as a cheap place, and so we parted ways. We waited in line at reception, but before we had even got to the counter, our friend was back! "I know a cheap place, that's just by my house," he said. "If this place is full, I can drive you there." Lo and behold, the hotel was full, so off we went with him, beyond grateful for his kindness.

On the way he pointed out all of the city's major sights, and I relaxed in the backseat letting the night air rush in through the window to cool me down, as I watched the sun set over the city. Half an hour later, we had checked into our cheap hotel, quickly freshened up, and was enjoying a beer in the pub next door - saying to ourselves once again: "travelling is awesome."

*

Our time in Chicago was lovely. It was so nice to stay with our friends, Hilary and Kevin, and especially so as they gave us a real insight to the best the city has to offer. I enjoyed long chats in the sunshine with Hilary, eating the quinessential American breakfast of bagels with cream cheese, and discussing her theatre experiences in the city. I enjoyed riding the city metro and looking at Karlos with wide, knowing eyes whenever a louder than life itself american lady came on who we would try to ignore. I enjoyed spending hours wandering the city streets, admiring the tall, impressive architecture, and the modern city parks. I enjoyed taking tourist snaps in The Bean, and then climbing The Willis Tower to enjoy a birds eye view of Chicago, flanked by Lake Michigan. I enjoyed sitting in Millenium Park, listening to the opening night of symphony in the park, and watching hoards of other people walk by, with the same intention. I enjoyed wandering through the exhibits of the Field Museum, and stumbling across a Maori Pa...



It was in Chicago that I felt a sort of hankering for New Zealand. It was unexpected - but nice. I'd been telling everyone that "we're from New Zealand," as it's easier that explaining my actual background... and I am certainly proud to say I live in such a beautiful country such as New Zealand is. But it was in that moment, on seeing that Maori Pa, that I actually felt a strong familiarity and a sense of belonging in the thought of NZ. At last! It did not give me a desire to return home. Nor did it make me miss home. But it did make me feel pretty happy with the feeling that I may just be ready to offically become a kiwi when I do eventually return to NZ. I will remember Chicago for the lovely time we had with Hilary and Kevin. But I will also remember Chicago for giving me that.

~ Peace and love, Comet xo

No comments:

Post a Comment