Karlos and I are travelling around the world together, for 6 months...



.

Thursday, June 17, 2010

This is the MIGHTY MONTANA!


Bozeman, Montana.

If I could describe Montana in one sentence it would be: "you should go to Montana." It is a stunner of a place - fresh air, wide open skies, green meadows, rugged mountains, crystal clear rivers, wild animals, and friendly folk who like to drink. I felt as though we had stumbled upon a hidden gem of a state. Somewhat off the beaten track, and just waiting to be enjoyed...

But before I tell you how much I loved Montana, I will firstly tell you about the hideousness that was our 31 hour bus ride to get there. That's right - thirty one hours - you did not read that wrong.

We really didn't have a choice - it was US$250 to take a bus from San Francisco to Bozeman (Montana), or US$500+ to fly. Flying would have been ideal - comfortable, and quick - but we are travellers on a budget, so every dollar counts. And so, with reluctance, we took ourselves to the Greyhound Bus Station, downtown San Francisco, knowing exactly what we had in store - 31 hours of discomfort, bad smells, and bustling along with all the other crazies who like to ride the greyhound. Everyone looking at each other through sideways glances as we all queue for the bus, anxious to get a seat next to our partners, anxious to get a good seat, or anxious simply to GET a seat.

So after managing to score a seat next to each other, we spent the next 31 hours stopping at every foul gas station between San Francisco and Bozeman, dashing in and out of public toilets that left me feeling like I needed a shower afterwards, and selecting the healthiest food we could between plastic wrapped twinkies, hershey's chocolate, and endless rows of cookies. We spent 31 hours trying to sleep as much as possible, between people coughing, the scrunching of crisp packets, knees knocking the backs of our seats, babies crying, americans talking incessently, and strangers asking us for our email. There was the constant fear that if we do decide to use a garage's restroom the bus could leave without us, but the even greater fear that if we didn't use a garage's restroom, we may be forced to use the shit bucket in the cupboard at the back of the bus, should nature call between rest breaks. It was literally hell. A cold and dirty, hell.

The seats reclined enough for you to relax, but not enough for you to sleep. And I was even so fortunate to be biten by some kind of spider somewhere along the way. Three times. Once below my knee, once above my knee, and the third bit on my rib cage. This could only mean that said beastie must have been crawling on me UNDERNEATH my clothes. *shudder*



We also heard a story that on the same bus, the night before, our unfortunate driver had encountered a woman who was tripping out on some kind of hallucinogenic. She jumped up in the middle of the night, screaming that she was on fire and tried to jump out of the bus. Only the bus was moving, and so the door would not open, resulting in her getting her foot stuck as she tried to break through. Eventually the bus driver pulled over and she ran off the bus, ripping off her clothes before rolling around in the mud. This put out her "fire," but she then started to freak out that spiders were crawling all over her. This scene ended with the cops arriving, her biting both the cop and the bus driver, and finally smashing her own nose in with a rock. Thank god that didn't happen whilst we were on the bus - but these were the type of nutbars we were subjecting ourselves to.

Aaahhh "but this is travelling," as they say. "They" being the bastards that never actually have to travel with such rodents. Surviving such a trip is pretty euphoric though, I must admit.

*

Anyway, arriving in Montana was like a breath of fresh air, literally. And we were lucky enough to be staying with the darling Story family, on their ranch! Staying with locals is always my prefered way to visit a place - you get to have a true experience, instead of a tourist one. And the Story family were beyond and hospitable, making our visit extra special. I tell you, if all Montanans are like them, it just might be the greatest place on earth. Within seconds of arriving in Bozeman, Judy and Mark had pounced on us, taken our bags, put them in the boot of their hummer, and whisked us off for steak and beers... our hideous bus trip was forgotten within minutes and we began enjoying ourselves instantly.

We spent the next couple of days having a blast in Montana with the Storys - Judy, Mark, Shandy, Jayden, Cissy and Tim - and only wishing Jin were with us, and that we were staying longer.

Day one we were woken to a BBQ breakfast, fresh berries, and tales from 6-year old mountain girl Jayden, before being bundled into the car for an afternoon of clay pigeon shooting!! Woo hoo!! This was mountain country, so what better thing to do than shoot guns for an authentic experience?! On the way Mark and Judy pointed out deer and elk grazing in the meadows, in the distance, and told us to keep our eye out for bears too. Mighty Montana, I dubbed it.

On arrival at the shooting venue I discovered we were to be firing shot guns. Not air rifles. Shot guns! Wooo I was excited! We were joined by the lovely Cissy and her boyfriend Tim, and after we had all made sure we were wearing ear plugs - we set off on the course. Karlos had a go first - and was a natural - BOOM, went the gun. I gulped. I didn't realise a shot gun was THAT powerful - his whole head and upper body jolted as he pulled the trigger, and then the barrel smoked... but I was still more excited than scared - so up I went without questions when Mark said it was my turn.

Mark showed me how to load the gun, hold the gun, aim and take fire. I held the gun against my cheek, resting it on my shoulder, and called "pull" for the clay pigeon to be released. I was calm and steady. Click went the trigger, BOOOOM! went the gun. Woah! Thank goodness for my ear plugs, but that gun kicked me in the shoulder a LOT harder than I had anticpated. "You done being scared now," Mark asked. What? Done? I had only just started being scared, I thought - that hurt! Hahahaha. The second time I held the gun tighter and pulled the stock closer to my cheek. Click went the trigger, BOOOOOOM went the gun. Not as painful this time, as adrenaline had kicked in! I was shaking a little.. ok, a lot! And had missed my target, but I was having a LOT of fun.



I didn't keep up with the rest of them - I had to stop about 2/3s into the course as my shoulder was hurting, and a headache was setting in - I had fun watching the rest of them hit targets though. And they were all really nice to me - Cissy even said I should be proud as most girls are too scared to pick up a shot gun, let alone fire one. So that made me smile a lot, and really made up for the fact that I was a lousy shot! Hahaha. I should have worn my glasses... I have a feeling that may have helped! I did hit one pigeon... but truth be told I think it was a fluke!

Anyway - after the adrenaline of shooting had worn off - we all went to a local sports bar to drink beer, eat chicken wings, and laugh ourselves into the evening. We had only met the Story family the day before - and we already felt so much love for them. We felt like we were at home with this lovely family. We fell in love with Montana, officially, later that same day...

Cissy and Tim kidnapped us, and we took off with a box of beers and some mango punch in the back of their jeep to a place between the mountains called "Mill Creek." Cissy's gorgeous doggy, Macy, kept me warm on the back seat - and we drove passed some of the most beautiful countryside I've ever seen, listening to country music, and feeling the alcohol warm our cheeks. I felt peaceful, and happy - enjoying being in the mighty Montana, doing as Montanans do.

Mill Creek was stunning, words wouldn't do it justice - we arrived to a camp fire and Tim's parents, who cooked us a delicious BBQ, whilst we continued to get drunk. I think I said "I love it here," about 20 million gazillion times. But I meant it each time. We sat inside the log cabin, eating BBQ food, discussing how to behave should we meet a bear, before someone utted the words... marshellow and chocolate. Before the night was through I had experienced the infamous American "s'mores" - called as such because once you eat one, you just want s'more! One word - yum! We roasted marshmellows on the campfire, before sandwiching the sticky gooeyness between two cinnamon crackers... and chocolate! All I remember from the rest of the evening is more stars than I knew the sky could hold, happiness, and new found friends. I'd probably remember more than that, if we hadn't stopped at a local bar in Bozeman before heading home. Authentic experience in Montana - check!



For the rest of our time in Montana we enjoyed driving through Yellowstone National Park, seeing buffallo, elk, and coyotes, and watching the eruption of old faithful; we ate more BBQ food; drank more bear; and stayed up late into the night listening to Mark's stories from his hunting days.

When we eventualy left Montana I felt both happy and sad. Happy from a wonderful few days - and sad it wasn't longer.

To anyone planning on visiting the USA - be sure not to miss the gem that is Montana.

~ Comet xo

No comments:

Post a Comment